The dream of a local Hospital became reality when Decatur County Memorial Hospital (DCMH) opened its doors on February 4, 1922 at its current location. The much anticipated County-owned facility was built as a memorial to those Decatur County residents who fought and died for our country in World War I. The original hospital building which is still in use featured 16,000 square feet and was built at a cost of approximately $100,000.
It was twenty years later, in 1942, when an 11,040 sq. ft. addition was completed to the north of the original building. This area currently houses Health Information Management on the first floor and the bustling Outpatient Clinic on the second floor.
As the community and healthcare services continued to grow, two more additions became reality over the next 30 years. Available Hospital space tripled in 1964 when 58,832 sq. ft. was added. A three story building with basement was added to the southeast of the original building and is now home to the Business Office, Oncology, Pharmacy, and the Medical/Surgical Unit. Also added at this time was a two story addition to the northwest of the original building extending to the west of the 1942 addition. This area now houses our Center for Wound Healing and Lab. These additions were followed in 1972, by a 17,284 sq. ft. three story addition with basement to the southwest of the original building and included the current ACU, Sleep Lab, Speech and Hearing and the west wing of the Medical/Surgical unit, Materials Management, and Administrative offices.
The Hospital Foundation of Decatur County was founded in 1992 and originally named the Decatur County Memorial Hospital Foundation. The group was formed to provide additional financial support for the healthcare initiatives of DCMH.
Greensburg experienced significant industrial growth in the late 1980’s with the establishment of the Commerce Park and subsequent addition of GECOM, STI, Valeo and others. Keeping pace with the demands of the community and responding to growth in outpatient services, another 41,448 Square feet were added to the north of the Hospital in 1995. The Hospital Foundation and community supported the effort by raising $1.1 million in a community campaign to exceed an original goal of $750,000. It was the largest capital campaign to date in the community. The outpatient focused addition which resulted included a new Emergency Room, Radiology Department, Surgery, Admitting area, and Physical/Occupational Therapy.
A second capital campaign during 2003 helped raise $1.3 million exceeding a $1.1 million goal. It allowed a fifth addition to the original hospital to open in 2005. This 30,000 sq. ft. two story addition featured a 15,000 sq. ft. comfortable, state of the art Women’s Center. Also included was a new 10,000 sq. ft. Emergency Department which now sees over 14,000 patients annually. The project also provided new expanded Outpatient clinical services, Cardiac services, and two community education rooms as well expanded available parking by 100 spaces.
In 2007, DCMH purchased the Multi-Medical Specialty Clinic on N. Michigan Ave. The purchase added 26,000 square feet of space for visiting specialists and the DCMH offsite immunization clinic, lab and x-ray satellites. The building also became home to the new Workwell Occupational Health clinic, a new DCMH division serving businesses and industry in the area. It was late in 2007 when DCMH announced a new collaboration with the Tree City Medical Partner practice in an integrated healthcare delivery model.
Most recently, DCMH was pleased to be named one of the Top 20 Critical Access Hospitals in the Nation by the Health Strong Index. In 2012, your Hospital celebrated 90 years of providing the gift of caring.