Diabetes Patient Education
Participating in education is one of the most important things you can do for yourself if you have been diagnosed with diabetes. In Greensburg, Indiana, the place to go for your diabetes education program is Decatur County Memorial Hospital.
Diabetes can be controlled and the progression of complications delayed with an individual treatment program that includes diet, exercise, and/or medication. Education in these areas is one of the greatest investments a patient can make. Diabetes classes offered at Decatur County Memorial Hospital are designed to teach the diabetic and their family more about the disease and how to implement lifestyle changes to avoid complications.
Diabetes Education Program Topics
- Overview of diabetes
- Medications available to treat diabetes
- The role of exercise in treatment
- Blood Glucose Testing: correct monitor use
- Menus and meals patterns, portion control, restaurant eating & carbohydrate counting
- Reading food labels to learn more about reducing fat and salt in the diet
- Short and long term complications
- Skin care
Classes are offered each month and consist of a series of three 2-hour classes held at DCMH. They are recommended for all diabetics and their family members. For more information regarding the classes or to register call (812) 663-1341. Visit our Calendar of Events to see when the next series of classes will be offered.