Decatur County Memorial Hospital offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic cardiopulmonary services to patients of all ages as prescribed by their physicians.
Cardiac Rehab is outpatient rehabilitation for patients with heart disease. It includes a supervised and monitored exercise program, instruction for home exercise, healthy heart diet guidance and education to prevent complications.
Cardiac Rehab is performed at three levels. Level 1 is completed while a patient is hospitalized during an acute episode. Level 2 includes coronary exercise with cardiac monitoring by a coronary care R.N. Level 3 is an exercise program that helps a patient maintain and increase endurance for a lifetime. Patients can choose to exercise at the hospital or at the local YMCA.
Anyone with heart disease is eligible for the program and our Cardiac Rehab nurse will consult with each patient’s physician to determine the level best for him or her. Please call 812-663-1328 for more information.
Pulmonary rehab is inpatient or outpatient rehabilitation for patients with lung disease. We treat those who suffer from emphysema, asthma, pulmonary fibrosis, or other lung diseases. The program includes a supervised and monitored exercise program and educational information to help the patient learn how to live with the disease, such as breathing techniques and diet. The department also offers smoking cessation for both cardiac and pulmonary rehab.
Pulmonary rehabilitation can treat lung problems such as:
- COPD (Emphysema or chronic bronchitis)
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Interstitial lung disease
- Lung cancer and lung cancer surgery
- Lung volume and reduction surgery
- Pre- and post-lung transplantation
Pulmonary rehabilitation helps participants:
- Experience less difficulty breathing
- Increase muscle strength and endurance
- Improve their ability to cope with daily activities
- Understand how to use medications and oxygen appropriately
- Improve quality of life
- Reduce hospitalizations
Typical pulmonary rehabilitation programs include:
- Monitored and supervised exercises
- Education about your pulmonary condition, control of symptoms, medications, and oxygen
- Stress reduction and/or management techniques sessions
Please call Pulmonary Rehabilitation at 812-663-1328, for more information or to determine if you qualify.