The Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation department at Decatur County Memorial Hospital offers several levels of both Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation. Our staff is made of highly skilled Registered Nurses and Respiratory Therapists and supervised by our medical director, Dr. Datta.
Pulmonary Rehab is an outpatient program designed to help patients improve their day-to-day lives and restore their ability to function independently. Pulmonary Rehab can help reduce the number and length of hospital stays and increase your chances of living longer.
Pulmonary Rehab includes:
- An individualized, supervised exercise plan
- Instruction on breathing exercises and a home exercise plan to strengthen your lungs
- Cardiac monitor worn during exercise – monitoring of heart rate, heart rhythm, oxygen saturation, respiratory status, exercise effort and safety, target heart rate
- Help in achieving your goals in managing your weight, diabetes, cholesterol, blood pressure, stress, quitting smoking and much more
- Medication review and education
- A consultation with DCMH dietitian
- Maintenance program after monitored exercise program graduation
- Monthly reports sent to your physician(s)
Please call Pulmonary Rehabilitation at 812-663-1328, for more information or to determine if you qualify.
Levels of Pulmonary Rehab
- Phase 1 – Rehab done during hospitalization
- Phase 2 – Exercise with cardiac monitoring and comprehensive outpatient education
- Physician order required
- Billed to insurance
- Must have eligible diagnosis:
- Alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency
- Cystic fibrosis
- Interstitial lung disease
- Lung cancer
- Thoracic cage abnormalities
- Lung transplant
- Phase 3 – Outpatient exercise program to maintain and increase endurance
- Physician order required
- Private pay
- Anyone who wishes to improve cardiovascular fitness and improve lung capacity
How long is the program?
- Length of program varies by individual risk factors and insurance coverage. Typically, patients attend three times a week for 36 sessions. Each session lasts about an hour.
How do I know if I qualify?
Call our nursing supervisor, Audrey Fuller at 812-663-1213. She would be happy to assist you in figuring out if you qualify for Phase 2 or Phase 3 Pulmonary Rehab and obtaining an order from your doctor.
Is pulmonary rehab safe for me?
- An order is required by your physician to ensure it is safe for you to participate in pulmonary rehab. At least one trained staff member is present at all times of your appointment. Our staff are certified in CPR and Advanced Life Support. In the event of an emergency, our cardiopulmonary and emergency departments are near and available to assist.