On September 13th, Decatur County Memorial Hospital is partnering with the American Red Cross and rolling up their sleeves to help save lives by hosting a blood drive from 2 to 7 p.m. Each pint of blood collected can help save up to three lives and will touch the lives of so many more. What a great way to pay it forward and make an impact on people in our community.
Quick Facts about Blood Donors
- The Red Cross accepts blood donations only from volunteer donors. Among Red Cross donors in a given year, 19 percent donate occasionally, 31 percent are first-time donors and 50 percent are regular, loyal donors.
- Only 7 percent of people in the United States have type O-negative blood type, which is known as the universal blood type. Blood that is type O-negative can be given to people of all blood types. Type O-negative blood is needed in emergencies before the patient’s blood type is known and with newborns that need blood.
Quick Facts about Red Cross Blood Services
- The Red Cross supplies approximately 40 percent of the nation’s blood supply.
- The Red Cross provides blood for patients in nearly 3,000 hospitals and transfusion center across the United States.
- Eighty percent of the blood donations given to the Red Cross are collected at blood drives set up at community organizations, companies, high schools, colleges, places of worship or military installations. The remaining 20 percent are collected at Red Cross blood donation centers.
Why Donate Blood?
- You don’t need a special reason to give blood; you just need your own reason. Some of us give blood because we were asked by a friend. Some know that a family member or a friend might need blood someday. Some believe it is the right thing we do.
- The number one reason donors say they give blood is because they “want to help others.”
- Whatever your reason, the need is constant and your contribution is important for a healthy and reliable blood supply. And you’ll feel good knowing you’ve helped change a life.
To register for the September 13th blood drive, visit redcrossblood.org, and use sponsor code “decaturcohos.” Questions? Call Amy Shearer at 812.663.1228 or email email@example.com.